Sunday, August 2, 2009

Red of Life Green of Goodness


Tomatoes

Fried green with deep red ribbons of pepper atop a porcelain layer of mozzarella, panzenella salad, greens, yellows and reds, dotting the plate like balloons against clouds in the sky, pulsating with freshness and life

I like to bite into them, almost too big to fit into my mouth whole, the innards spurting between my teeth with a few tiny seeds escaping between pursed lips.

Because that is the best way to eat them.

The terrestrial scent of the fruit plucked off the vine in my grandparent’s garden.

I am three and barefoot with a borrowed undershirt from my grandfather. Soft compost between my toes is tepid from the noon sun and I dig my little toes into the dirt as I hold a large, lopsided tomato between two palms and bite into its supple skin. The juice is warm on my chin.

*

Maybe, when I have a child of my own…maybe we will go to the farmers market and buy fresh tomatoes or peaches, wash them off in the nearest public restroom and have a picnic in the car, letting the juice drip all over our jeans and upholstery. I will tell them it’s the best that way and sun will glisten on our wet fingers, the juice collecting between the spaces on our hands. And I will tell my child it is perfectly acceptable to lick off what has escaped from the ripe fruit.

2 comments:

  1. Hey Halle! Nice to see you blogging. I added a link to my blog, which I update very infrequently!
    Hope you're well,
    Anita

    ReplyDelete
  2. HEY HALLE WOW WHAT AN INCREDIBLE SITE YOU ARE A GREAT WRITER YOU HAVE SAID FOR YEARS THIS WAS YOUR PASSION ITS VERY EVEIDENT HAVE YOU BEEN FOLLOWING THE TOMATO BLIGHT ITS THE SAME AS THE BLIGHT THAT CAUSED THE POTATO FAMINE PRETTY CRAZY CIAO FARMER LEE JONES

    ReplyDelete